11/19/08

New Splawn 2x12" Cabinet

A few months ago, after hauling my large Splawn 4x12" around, I realized that a 2x12" would probably be a good investment. So I placed an order through Lynn Burke at Blues City Music (excellent place to order from) for a 2x12 cabinet that would match my Splawn 4x12 and Quick Rod head, both of which have black tolex and gold piping. As far as speakers go, I chose an Eminence-made Splawn Big Block/Small Block 25 combo.

It took about a month for it to arrive, since these cabinets are hand-built to order. And it definitely shows in the superb quality and visible workmanship. The grille cloth seems very durable, and it comes with metal handles (or handle in the case of the 2x12"; see picture), unlike the plastic ones of your run-of-the-mill Marshall cab. The attention to detail is second-to-none.

After properly breaking the speakers in, I promptly gave the cabinet a thorough test drive. It sounds monstrous! The Big Block speaker, which is supposed to be similar to a Celestion G12H30, really brings out the highs and the lows, while the Small Block 25, comparable to a Celestion G12M Heritage, provides a nice, classic crunch. Together, they mix really well.

In all honesty, this cab sounds almost as big as my lumbering 4x12", yet it weighs much less. This has made jamming with other musicians a much easier task, as I no longer have to carry the overbearing 4x12" up flights of stairs just for an impromptu jam.

Overall, as usual, Scott Splawn and crew have certainly not disappointed with this cabinet. Anyone seeking a new cabinet should check them out. As I mentioned, each cab is built to order, so it takes about a month to arrive once the order is placed. But it's definitely worth the wait.


No comments: